Thursday 19 July 2012

Crab with soy sauce


Most people love mud crabs but I loveee blue crabs which are sweeter and cleaner. You can easily get big fat blue crabs in Sabah off the South China Sea and they are a lot cheaper there too!

Back in my hometown in Sabah (Borneo) my brother used to bring giant crabs for me almost every morning! And am happy to say I kinda got addicted to it. I remember he used to advise me not to eat crab everyday because he said if I ate crab everyday, my body will feel weak... it's kinda weird to say something like that but I never asked him why he said so..  And I told him that he was wrong because crab always makes me excited, I feel energized and excited whenever I am eating crab! Hahaha.

He is my younger brother. I've got 2 more younger brothers after him and I am the only girl in the family. When he was in secondary school he loved to go fishing with friends.  Once he came back home in the middle of the night.  The next day a friend of mine told me that my brother fell asleep in class. Back then I often worried about him and his studies as he liked to spend time talking about fishing all the time with his friends at the jetty. My dad worried too that he would not be getting anywhere in life.

Today, everything has changed. He proved me and everyone at home wrong! He transformed his interest to a career and now he is supplying fresh seafood to restaurants, hotels and wet markets around Kota Kinabalu and also receiving some orders from suppliers in Peninsular Malaysia. I'm proud of him.

So when he came to visit last month, I cooked these especially for him and I am glad he loved it to the max! I think this is the most delicious crab dish I ever cooked. You may as well try this recipe. Served best during special occasions such as family gathering.


Ingredients:
10 boiled crabs

1) Heat up cooking oil and add in below:

2 holland onions (blend)
6 shallot (blend)
6 pips garlic (blend)
2 inches galangal (blend)
2 inches ginger (blend)
2 lemon grass (blend)

2) wait until above ingredients caramelized, and add in below until fragrant and the sauce has thicken

6 tbsp chili paste
2 tbsp thick soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp chili sauce

3) and lastly add in below wait for 3 mins, pour onto the crabs and you are done!
salt and brown sugar
2 tbsp tamarind paste

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

was cooking this for my family..yummy recipe! Thanks for sharing! I will cook again

Unknown said...

Glad you like it :)